The commonly used disposable isolation gown is intended to be a basic piece of personal protective equipment (PPE) that provides a barrier against the entry of noxious substances thus preventing contamination of the underlying dressed and undressed parts of the body. To be effective, it should wrap around and cover as much surface as possible of the body and resist the entry of fluid to achieve the desired barrier and isolation functions. However, the commonly used ones frequently seen on the TV and newspapers are designed and made such that they cannot meet these basic requirements. The faults that we have found with them are as follows:
- The non-woven polypropylene material commonly used for making these gowns is too thin such that water can readily penetrate through it on contact. (The commonly available gowns are made of non-woven polypropylene material of density of 30gms per m2.)
- Some gowns are made of very thin non-woven polyprophylene material coated with a layer of plastic material. The plastic coating makes it unbreathable causing much discomfort on wearing.
- The neck opening is too wide thus leaving much of the shoulder uncovered.
- The open edges of the gown at the back do not overlap well. Thus, the back of the body is often uncovered.
- The lengths are not long enough to provide good coverage of the leg.
The Isolation Gown is designed and made to correct the shortcomings associated with the commonly available isolation gowns such that superior isolation and barrier functions can be achieved. The special features of the Isolation Gown are as follows:
- It is made of dense non-woven polypropylene material thus offering superior water-repellent function.
- The neck opening fits snugly around the base of the neck without exposing the medial parts of the shoulders.
- The open edges over the nape (back part of the neck) are fastened with Velcro tapes with generous overlapping of the edges. This enables the back of the body to be completely covered.
- Fastening of the Isolation Gown at waist level with the suspensory string allows free adjustment of the length of the Isolation Gown to fit users of all heights.
- Fastening of the overlapping edges at the hip region prevent them from slipping apart over the thighs.
- The lower edge of the Isolation Gown extends well below knee level thus enabling total coverage of the legs when used together with the Isolation Gown.
- There is a transparent internally accessed pocket for putting the mobile phone (as well as small personal belongings) so that the user can visually check calls.
- The Isolation Gown keeps the body warm but will not cause sweatiness because of the breathability of the non-woven polypropylene material.
With the above features, the Isolation Gown stands out to be a superior choice among the available disposable isolation gown.
Instructions for use: